Day 8 – Creating flashcards

Welcome to Day 8 of the 12 Days of AI. Let’s learn about some AI study tools.

What is Quizlet?

Quizlet serves as a digital educational platform, accessible to both educators and learners. Boasting a vast collection of over 100 million study sets, the content spans across diverse subjects from the sciences to the humanities, all generated by its user community. The platform operates in several languages including English, Spanish, and German.

Quizlet excels in transforming textual information into interactive learning tools, such as flashcards, quizzes, and educational games, offering a multifaceted approach to studying. Moreover, the platform is not limited to text-based content, it also supports the integration of images and audio into its study materials.

How does Quizlet use and keep the information I provide?

Here is Quizlet’s privacy policy to learn more.

How do I access it?

Create an account with Quizlet. Alternatives are listed below.

Your Task:

Create some Magic Notes on a type of meal or food you eat at a December holiday of your choosing. Of course – you may also want to use some of your own subject area text instead. (After you complete the task – don’t forget to explore Quizlet’s other features.)

Suggested ideas:

After you’ve chosen your article:

1. Copy the relevant text.
  2. Open Quizlet and choose Create Magic Notes.
  3. Paste your notes into the text box.
  4. Select Start Transforming.
  5. Choose Flashcards to explore the results.
Screenshot of Quizlet; Create Magic Notes

Alternatives to Quizlet:

Join the discussion:

Share a link to your flashcards in the comments or on X (Twitter) using the hashtag #12DoAI.

• How did you get on with the task – did you find it useful?
  • What did you think of the ‘Flashcards’ that Quizlet produced?
  • Could you use these in your teaching? If so, how? If no, why not?
  • Did you try any of the alternatives – would you recommend any of them?

Enter the competition:

Don’t forget to enter the competition – we’ve had some really great entries so far. It closes on Friday!

15 Comments on “Day 8 – Creating flashcards

1. Sooooo this is one where I am actually wanting a bit more nuance when we take advantage of a tool! For me, I think there is a really important learning that happens in creating flash cards and synthesising notes, so I would want students to be aware of the trade offs they might be making in outsourcing their learning in this way. I was pretty impressed with how well it summarised my notes though!

2. Thanks for your comment Jennie! I was starting to worry that people weren’t interested in this topic. Maybe, flashcards are seemed to be something only school students are interested in? However, I do agree that there is something important in the actual students synthesising the notes, that actually makes the learning take place. But there are other ways these types of cards can be used too.

3. I got “Thanks for your interest in Magic Notes! We are working to expand access and hope to get you in soon.”

4. Since I stopped Quizlet subscription about three years ago, I have used it very rarely. This exercise allowed me to reconnect to the tool, and explore its upscaled AI capability to extract and summarise material and generate flashcards. Flashcards can be helpful to help students review or familiarise themselves with some materials. Quizlet provides a level of gamification through different forms of self-study activities, like matching and flashcards.

5. Definitely interesting. I used it with a short article I wrote for a teachers’ magazine. The main issue I found with the flash cards was that the terms and the definitions were often much the same, only the definitions were a bit longer. I guess you have to choose your source document carefully and then do quite a lot of editing to get a decent set of cards. A great place to start, though. I did note there was a ‘visible to everyone’ check box that I had to untick to avoid sharing my cards.

6. I can see this could be useful to support revision but as stated before, you would need to choose your source material carefully. But could be useful for students to summarise their own notes.

7. Using Magic Notes to create flashcards could be a useful prompt for extended discussions to develop the students’ speaking fluency or for presentation purposes. This seems to be a popular tool among English language tutors and offers a variety of quizzes and tasks that could be quite engaging for the students.

8. Day 8 and 9 tasks look really interesting.Unfortunately whether it was file size or extensions not being downloaded I haven’t managed to immerse myself in these – but they look great! Would like to hear more on these tools or I will also try the alternative options – looks really promising overall.The 10mb limit on Quizlet was unexpected

9. this was an interesting AI tool it’s not something I would use with my Students. typically I set drawing tasks in my lessons. I found the text was remarkably similar to another AI tool Gamma which I found odd. are the bots talking to each other ? are they repeatedly resourcing the same ‘library’ ie Google?